Do you remember the end of summer blues brought on by back-to-school ads in shop windows and weekend circulars? This year the kids are not the only ones dragging their heels into the new semester: parents and adult students are feeling the back-to-school blues in their wallets.
According to a national online survey conducted for MasterCard by Harris Interactive, concerns about the economy are impacting the purchasing decisions of a majority (75%) of Americans with household members attending school this fall. Nearly 70% say they will spend the same or less on back-to-school purchases compared to last year.
Economic concerns are driving nearly 58% of Americans to value a good deal on supplies for fall. With saving on their minds, parents will look to get an “A” in smart spending by:
- Looking for more discounts, coupons and deals (69%)
- Buying only absolute necessities (50%)
- Doing more comparison shopping (46%)
- Shopping only in stores that offer sales (44%)
Instead of hitting the streets and battling crowds in search of deals, why not stock up on bargains from the comfort of home? Starting this week, MasterCard MarketPlace™ is offering back-to-school offers through the end of September on the items students need to make the grade.
- Stock up on essentials: Search on “Back To School” on MasterCard MarketPlace, and you’ll find great deals on everything you need for the school year ahead – from tablets to books and other class and dorm room essentials.
- Hook up your laptop: Deep discounts offered on computers. Right now save up to 47% on Essential Student Packs from Hewlett-Packard, including HP Photosmart e-All-in-One printers, flash drives and call services for Pavilion laptops.
- Kick fall into gear in style: Get great offers on cool items that kids want without breaking the bank like athletic shoes from New Balance.
Our study shows that 27% of Americans perform shopping activities with their phone and we help them stay in-the-know on Overwhelming Offers, an iPhone application that keeps you updated on all the daily deals we have to offer. MC OO provides deep discounts of 50% off (limited quantities) on merchandise to help ease those back-to-school blues.
Now that making the grade through our back-to-school savvy-saving offers is easier than ever, cheer up and enjoy rest of summer!