Use your MasterCard with Apple Pay to enjoy free travel on London’s transport network on Monday 23rd November and the next three Mondays
London, 20th November 2015 – MasterCard announces that cardholders using Apple Pay can travel for free around London over the next four consecutive Mondays – starting Monday 23rd November. Customers using MasterCard with Apple Pay need to touch in and out on London’s transport network using their Apple device and they will have their fares refunded by MasterCard on any of the Fare Free Mondays.
Over the next four Mondays, all passengers on London’s transport network touching in and out this way, whether visitors to London or regular commuters, will benefit from a refund of up to £27.90. Customers can travel on Tube, buses, tram, DLR, London Overground and most National Rail services in London for all four fare free Mondays, from 23rd November to 14th December 2015.
In the year since TfL started accepting contactless bank cards on its Tube network, the take up by travelers has been phenomenal. From a standing start to today, over 220 million journeys have been made using contactless bank cards and devices with over one million contactless journeys made every day. Currently, contactless journeys made across all modes make up nearly 25 per cent of pay as you go journeys.
Mark Barnett, president of MasterCard UK&I said: “The move by TfL last year to accept contactless cards and devices on London Underground has been a phenomenal catalyst to the growth in contactless payments across the UK. Now that Apple Pay has arrived we want to encourage travellers on London’s transport network to try it out and give them another convenient option to pay for their travel. What better way to do this, than to offer MasterCard customers using Apple Pay the chance to travel for free over the next four consecutive Mondays.”
Activating an iPhone to touch in and out at gates is simple. Users can double-click the Home button when their iPhone is locked to access the Wallet and then touch it to the yellow reader. iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone 6, and iPhone 6 Plus users can add their MasterCard to Apple Pay in three simple steps:
- Open the Wallet app
- Tap the plus sign in the upper right corner
- Enter your card’s security code to add your credit or debit card from your iTunes account. Or, select “Add a different card” and use your iSight camera to enter the card information.
For more information on how to take part in Fare Free Mondays and for the full terms and conditions, then please visit: www.mastercard.co.uk/applepay.
James Thorpe – James_Thorpe@mastercard.com +44 7807 378 265
Adam Keal – Adam_Keal@mastercard.com +44 7710 916 144
Notes to Editors:
- MasterCard with Apple Pay Fare Free Mondays are: Monday 23rd November, 30th November, 7th December and 14th December 2015.
- Apple devices offering Apple Pay’s contactless payment functionality which can be used for Fare Free Mondays are: iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus and Apple Watch.
- Refunds will only be made to the MasterCard account used for the initial TfL transaction within each Apple device and to benefit from the daily cap then the same card in the same devise must be used, equally to benefit from the weekly cap the same card in the same device will need to be used across the week.
MasterCard (NYSE: MA), www.mastercard.com, is a technology company in the global payments industry. We operate the world’s fastest payments processing network, connecting consumers, financial institutions, merchants, governments and businesses in more than 210 countries and territories. MasterCard’s products and solutions make everyday commerce activities – such as shopping, traveling, running a business and managing finances – easier, more secure and more efficient for everyone. Follow us on Twitter @MasterCardNews, join the discussion on the Beyond the Transaction Blog and subscribe for the latest news.