Credit Europe Bank and Carpatica Bank Deals Showcase European Momentum for Interactive Card
Waterloo, Belgium and Paris, France - 15 November 2011 – MasterCard announced growing momentum of its ground breaking Display Card programme at this year’s CARTES & IDentification expo in Paris. To coincide with the expo, two leading Romanian banks have announced that they are launching the MasterCard Display Card: Credit Europe Bank and Carpatica Bank.
The Display Card is an interactive card which incorporates a display and one or more touch sensitive buttons in addition to all the traditional payment card features. The cardholder can use the buttons to generate information – numbers and/or text – in the visual display which can enhance their payment or banking experiences in a number of ways. MasterCard first launched the Display Card in 2010, in partnership with the Turkish bank TEB to bring new consumer value to its Maestro debit cards.
Today, MasterCard Display Cards can be used to either authenticate online transactions, by generating One-Time-Passwords, or as an “information card” enabling cardholders to access valuable information such as account balance or transaction history quickly and conveniently.
Etem Birinci, Vice President of Credit Europe Bank, noted: “The new MasterCard Display Card is yet another example of the innovative banking services that we are making available to our Romanian customers. By rolling out this new MasterCard solution we are pursuing our strategy to boost alternative retail distribution channels and provide next generation solutions to the public.”
Nicolae Surdu, Director General Banca Comerciala Carpatica, said: “We are excited to launch such an innovative product, tailored to our customers’ needs. We continuously strive to adapt our portfolio of products and services so that customers can benefit from new functionality and cost effectiveness.”
Concluding Fikret Ates, Head of Added Value Solutions at MasterCard, said: “The response from both banks and consumers to the Display Card has, so far, been overwhelmingly positive. Over the coming months we will be working with our customers to identify deployment best practices to facilitate even quicker and simpler adoption of this innovative technology. We will also continue to explore other applications of this card technology to bring even more security, control and convenience for the cardholder. MasterCard Display Cards represent a new era in card payments. ”
Notes to Editors
- MasterCard Display Cards currently use technology developed by NagraID Security.
- The MasterCard Display Card product line is available immediately through NagraID’s world class channel partners such as Gemalto and Oberthur in all regions.
- Initial launches of MasterCard Display Cards have been for use as ‘authentication cards’, either with a single button or with multiple buttons (to provide for additional control through the use of a personal code). Display Card technology used as ‘authentication cards’ provide a highly secure, convenient and cost-effective solution for customers using online banking and e-commerce.
- Other banks are choosing to use MasterCard Display Card as an ‘information card’ or as a combined authentication and information card. All banks see the new technology as a way of differentiating their debit and credit cards and gaining top-of-wallet status.
- MasterCard® PayPass™ is compatible with Display Card technology and offers even further utility to the cardholder.
For further information, please contact:
Louise Herbert, MasterCard Europe
Tel: +32 (0)2 352 56 47 / +32 (0)498 58 56 47, firstname.lastname@example.org
Sara Cruz/Chris Genasi, APCO Worldwide
MasterCard (NYSE: MA) is a global payments and technology company. It operates the world’s fastest payments processing network, connecting consumers, financial institutions, merchants, governments and businesses in more than 210 countries and territories. MasterCard’s products and solutions make everyday commerce activities—such as shopping, traveling, running a business and managing finances—easier, more secure and more efficient for everyone. Learn more at mastercard.com or follow us on Twitter @mastercardnews.