From FOMO-inspiring vacation experiences and special everyday deals to price protection and mobile alerts to help with budgeting, there are tons of ways your credit, prepaid or debit card can work for you. I have to admit, though, I don’t always maximize the great benefits that come with my card. We recently polled more than 2,700 consumers on Twitter to gauge their experience, and only 20 percent said that they frequently take advantage of their benefits.
My goal is to provide relevant perks, services and benefits to our cardholders, and then to help them take full advantage with more information, helpful links and advice from cardholders and for cardholders.
Let’s get started! Here are six tips that we love. What are the other tips you’d recommend?
- Get smart about your benefits. Lots of cards come with rewards, benefits and insurances that can save you time and money. For instance, every U.S.-issued Mastercard comes with price protection so that you don’t miss out if the price drops after you buy. You simply get reimbursed for the difference, with certain limits. Check with your card issuer to learn about the benefits, rewards and offers that come with your card.
- Download your card issuer’s app. If your card issuer offers a mobile app and you haven’t already downloaded it, what are you waiting for? You can check and pay your balance, sure, but some issuers also let you access special offers, redeem rewards and more right from your phone.
- Set a rewards goal. If your card lets you earn points or cashback, set a goal for what you want to earn—and then make sure you redeem when the time comes! For instance, with my cashback card, I set a goal of $100. I check my balance in my bank app every month and then take my sons out to dinner when I hit my goal. It’s satisfying, motivating and helps me stay on top of what I earn and redeem.
- Buy with Masterpass! If you haven’t seen the commercials, Masterpass lets you store your card, shipping and other info, so you don’t have to enter them at checkout (both in-store and online). You can sign up through your bank or on your own. There are also a bunch of deals for paying with Masterpass… perfect if you want to, say, buy your wife, ahem, flowers.
- • Sign up for spend alerts. This will help you keep track of what you spend—and let you quickly discover any purchases you didn’t actually make so you can alert your bank of fraud. Your bank can send you texts, eemails or whatever works best for you.
- • Get amazing travel experiences. Did you know that Mastercard cardholders can access exclusive travel experiences and offers through Priceless Cities? In 45 cities around the world, you can gain access to exclusive experiences, such as making Mother’s Day treats with Sandra Lee at Sur La Table in NYC or taking an exclusive tour of the historic QVB Dome with High Tea in Sydney.
Join into the conversation below or on Twitter, using the hashtag #Tips, and share your card wisdom. We’ll be watching and sharing the best ideas!
For inspiration and more information about Mastercard benefits, visit mastercard.com.