Caught the travel bug? It seems you aren’t the only one. According to MasterCard’s latest Global Destinations Cities Index, there are more tourists travelling within Asia Pacific than ever before.
Many people are seeking out paths less traveled and visiting cities like Colombo, Chengdu and Ho Chi Minh, as well as the usual tourist meccas like Bangkok, Singapore and Tokyo.
While it’s always exciting to jet-off on a new adventure, it’s also wise to take certain precautions, especially if you’re a first-time traveler.
If you decide to discover a new destination in 2016, here are a few safety tips you can pack into your carry-on luggage:
- Ring up your bank and let them know about your travel plans so they know where you will be travelling and how long for! This will avoid triggering a fraud alert when you use your payment card for purchases abroad.
- Register for online or mobile services (text alerts) for banking on¬ the¬ go. This way you can access your accounts from the palm of your hand.
- Pay with your international scheme card instead of carrying large amounts of cash. You’ll have access to liability protection policies, purchase protection, travel insurance and instantaneous cancellation should you misplace your card, unlike cash!
- Check your transactions frequently! This way you can keep a tab of your expenses to see if they are accurate – whenever, wherever.
- Keep your banks’ 24/7 hotline numbers saved or memorized in case of an emergency.
- While using an ATM make sure it has international scheme logos certifying that banks are affiliated to these schemes and have safeguards and best practices. In addition, keep all ATM receipts.
Click here for more information on payment safety and security.