Last week, MasterCard released the fourth edition of the MasterCard Global Destination Cities Index, ranking 132 important destination cities by international overnight visitors and spend. The battle between Bangkok and London continues with London expected to be the world’s top destination this year, as Bangkok falls to second due to the domestic political situation. Read the full press release and report.
This year’s index also projects strong growth for cities in Asia Pacific with five of the top ten destinations hailing from the region. In addition to Bangkok in second place, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur, Hong Kong and Seoul also make it to the top 10, in fourth, eighth, ninth and tenth positions respectively.
Find out why Asian cities are so popular with travelers in this Wall Street Journal interview with Matthew Driver, President, South East Asia, MasterCard.
- Fun Facts on the top 10 destination cities in Asia Pacific
- Get behind the battle for the top spot in A Tale of Two Cities: London and Bangkok Continue to Vie for Top Global Destination City Ranking
- Read about the parallels between the fourth and fifth destinations on this year’s index: Dubai and Singapore
- See what media like Bloomberg News, The Wall Street Journal, Xinhua, BERNAMA, Bangkok Post, Channel NewsAsia and The China Post are saying about the report
- For more information about the MasterCard Global Destination Cities Index 2014, visit our Digital Press Kit.