Singapore, 17 March 2015 – MasterCard recently announced that the MasterCard Masters of Code™ global competition will continue its hunt for the best coders in the world in Singapore on March 28th and 29th. Full event details, including rules and registration, are available here.
Singapore’s rising start-up scene has garnered growing attention in recent years – the tech sector received US$1 billion in venture funding in 2013, a sharp rise from less than US$30 million in 2011, and with government support, many more spaces are being dedicated to fuel the development of innovative new ideas, e.g. Blk 71 and most recently BASH.
The Singapore installment of the Masters of Code hackathon will ask the best and brightest of Singapore’s developers and entrepreneurs to create the best commerce experience but with also a special focus on women in technology. Gender diversity in the composition of the teams will create bonus points during the judging process.
Jacqueline Poh, Managing Director of the Infocomm Development Authority of Singapore (IDA) will deliver the keynote address at the event which will feature an esteemed panel of judges who will choose the winning team based on their innovation’s impact, design, creativity, simplicity and best usage of MasterCard’s APIs.
The judging panel will include:
- Dr. Virginia Cha, Entrepreneur In Residence, Singapore Management University (SMU)
- Neal Cross, Managing Director and Chief Innovation Officer, DBS Bank
- T.V. Seshadri, Group Executive, Global Products and Solutions, Asia Pacific, MasterCard
- Sebastien Taveau, Chief Developer Evangelist, Open API, MasterCard
- Michael Yap, CEO & Founder, The Co-Foundry
- Grace Chng, Senior Correspondent, The Straits Times
Event details are as follows:
- What: MasterCard Masters of Code™ – Singapore Hackathon
- When: Saturday, March 28, 2015 at 9:00 AM – Sunday, March 29, 2015 at 6:00 PM
- Where: 237.io, 237 South Bridge Road, Chinatown, Singapore 058786
MEDIA NOTE: Members of the press are encouraged to attend through the event. Key moments include:
- Opening remarks: Saturday, March 28th @ 10:00
- Coding begins: Saturday, March 28th @ 12:00
- Winners announced: Sunday, March 29th @ 17:00
The Singapore winner will vie for a chance at the US$100,000 Grand Prize against master coders from across the globe in the Grand Finale Masters of Code Hackathon in Silicon Valley in December. The MasterCard Masters of Code Champion will also win the following prizes:
- Two weeks on-site at the MasterCard Start Path™ accelerator location in Dublin, Ireland, or an alternate remote program;
- Six months of mentoring from a member of the MasterCard Open API executive team and the Start Path program team; and,
- Free payment processing for up to US$250,000 in transactions for the first 12 months using Simplify Commerce.
MasterCard (NYSE: MA), www.mastercard.com, is a technology company in the global payments industry. We operate the world’s fastest payments processing network, connecting consumers, financial institutions, merchants, governments and businesses in more than 210 countries and territories. MasterCard’s products and solutions make everyday commerce activities – such as shopping, traveling, running a business and managing finances – easier, more secure and more efficient for everyone. Follow us on Twitter @MasterCardAP and @MasterCardNews, join the discussion on the Beyond the Transaction Blog and subscribe for the latest news on the Engagement Bureau.
AngelHack is the world’s largest and most diverse global hacker community, helping to drive open innovation of tech products, platforms and brands with extraordinary smarts, scale and speed. Known as pioneers of global hackathons, for more than 3 years, AngelHack has partnered with corporate change-makers at Comcast NBCUniversal, Hasbro, IBM, and Hearst to run themed, global initiatives designed to rapidly get them ideas with market traction while helping them build relationships with the workforce of the future. Find out more at www.angelhack.com.
Click here to subscribe to real-time alerts.