MasterCard continues roll-out of MasterPass with key payment service provider deal
Sydney – August 20, 2013: Today at the Online Retailers Conference and E-commerce Expo MasterCard announced a key milestone in the evolution of its digital payment service, with 16 of Australia’s leading payment service providers confirming they will introduce MasterPass across their customer base.[i]
A huge step in the evolution of digital payments, this roll-out will grant thousands of Australian merchants across different e-commerce categories the option to opt in for the MasterPass button, giving their customers the ability to purchase items swiftly, easily and securely online.
Australian consumers will have the ability to make a payment from wherever, and whenever they want, with leading providers such as; Advam, ANZ, Ashop, BuyReply, Card Access Services, Commonwealth Bank, Ctel, EstarOnline, eWAY, IP Payments, Merchant Warrior, NAB, NoQ, Paycorp, Payment Express and Powerfront agreeing to integrate with the MasterCard scheme. This will enable more online and multi-channel retailers to have the tools to take full advantage of the growing online and mobile commerce market.
Asserting their growing presence as a leader in the online payments space, this week MasterCard will for the first time showcase their suite of MasterPass products at the Online Retailers Conference and E-commerce Expo in Sydney. Speaking at the conference about convergence and innovation, MasterCard’s Head of Market Development and Innovation for Australasia, Matt Barr, predicts a rapid uptake of the technology.
“Having so many technology partners onboard illustrates the increasing consumer demand for digital wallets,” he said. “MasterPass technology offers shoppers peace of mind that their personal details are safe, as well as a wider selection of payment options and quicker transaction times, which can ultimately translate into increased customer satisfaction and an uplift in sales. We expect that these technology partners are the first wave of many to come onboard.”
Unveiled in Australia in February this year, MasterPass technology – the future of digital payments – brings together all of the ways consumers pay for things, from traditional plastic cards to digital wallets, and gives them the ability to make a payment from wherever they are with one simple experience.[ii]
By using MasterPass technology, online merchants can speed up the checkout process, helping to reduce the number of abandoned shopping carts and enabling shoppers to take shortcuts to easily access all their payment, loyalty and shipping information.
The newly-signed technology partners to possess the MasterPass button over the coming months span a range of sectors from fashion, general retail and hospitality brands, to electronics and appliances, through to airports and national car parking operators. This includes IP Payments, a leading supplier of corporate payments technology.
Mark Lewis, Director of IP Payments, describes the partnership as a great win for IP Payments customers.
“With a great deal of industry attention being placed on mobile wallets and the increasing demand from customers to access these solutions, IP Payments is extremely excited to be able to offer MasterPass to our customers. This further expands the number of payment channels they can offer their end users while providing a fast, intuitive contactless payment user experience.”
“MasterPass brings to our enterprise customer base a new payment channel for simple consumer transactions, but more importantly a channel that will enhance their cashflow through improved relationships with their end customers. IP Payments will make this mobile wallet offering available across our range of payment, accounts receivable automation and PCI-complaint products over the coming months.”
If you are interested in finding out more about how MasterPass Digital Wallet Services could benefit your business needs please contact your payment service provider or eemail email@example.com for more information.
Supporting Partner Quotes
- “Advam’s Online Reservation platform gives end users a fast, efficient and simple way to pre-book their car parking and travel extras on-line. Adding MasterPass will further enhance and speed-up the payment process, and will allow Advam’s merchants to differentiate in their marketplace with innovative payment solutions.” Paul Sidwell, Director of Sales, Advam Australia and New Zealand
- ANZ is committed to meeting the payments needs of our customers. We believe that wallets such as MasterPass enable merchants to offer their customer a quicker and more convenient checkout process and we are delighted to be working with MasterCard to ensure that our customers, including ANZ eGate customers, have access to MasterPass. Marj Demmer, General Manager Cards & Payments, ANZ.
- “We are integrating MasterPass because we believe it will help improve the current checkout flow and improve conversions by providing convenience, speed and security.” Sinan Kaya, owner, aShop.com.au
- “BuyReply makes it easy for anyone to buy anything from any medium without apps. By partnering with MasterPass, BuyReply merchants can elect to offer customers the option of paying via the BuyReply wallet or MasterPass which offers a trusted, fast, convenient and secure frictionless checkout experience.” Brad Lindberg, CEO, BuyReply
- “The Commonwealth Bank is excited to be supporting the enablement of MasterPass on our CommWeb payment solution for our business customers. This innovative technology by MasterCard will improve the speed, security and convenience for our businesses customers when purchasing online. CommBank supporting MasterPass is another example of how the Commonwealth Bank is introducing new business opportunities and offerings that support and meet the changing needs of Australian businesses.” Kelly Bayer Rosmarin, Executive General Manager, Corporate Banking Solutions, Commonwealth Bank.
- “We look forward to equipping our merchant clients with MasterPass. We believe the inclusion of MasterPass, will increase conversion for our clients, and enable a new secure, convenient and easy way for online shoppers to complete purchases online.” Stuart Clark, Chief Executive, EstarOnline Ltd
- “At Merchant Warrior we are committed to Innovation, Security and Leading edge technologies that empower merchants to offer flexible online payment solutions. We are proud to be one of Australia’s premier payment gateways participating in the launch and implementation of MasterCard’s MasterPass. We envision this partnership, through MasterPass, to be a step forward in the evolution of Next Generation Digital Payment solutions and are excited to play a part in shaping the future of Payments.” Rakesh Pathak, Founder & CEO, Merchant Warrior
- “We are pleased to be able to offer our merchants a solution that will enable them to complete more online sales, especially on mobile devices, through the streamlined payment experience that MasterPass provides.” Dominic White, General Manager, Everyday Banking – Business, NAB
- “MasterPass will give consumers the benefit of a seamless, universal payment mechanism across all digital mediums, whilst providing businesses with exposure to a global network of pre-registered users.” Brad Moran, CEO, NoQ
- “As a leading provider of e-commerce payments solutions and innovation Paycorp are thrilled to partner MasterCard in offering MasterPass to our customers. We are impressed by the wallet’s design allowing payment instruments and delivery addresses to be easily added or selected to complete the order checkout process. Our merchants will be surprised at how simple it is to integrate MasterPass to their existing e-commerce or m-commerce interfaces all within a highly secure environment. The open nature of the wallet allows a variety of payment instruments to be loaded, this truly is an online replacement for the physical wallet.” John Caliguri, Managing Director, Paycorp Holdings
- “Anything that assists the merchants with increasing conversion, is a great thing and something that Powerfront is very supportive of. MasterPass presents a great opportunity to let cardholders check out quickly and securely using their wallet.” Michael Browitt, CEO, Powerfront
For media enquiries, please contact:
Rachel Winter at The Origin Agency
Rachel.Winter@originagency.com.au 02 8437 5326 / 0421 211 503
Chris Lawrence at The Origin Agency
Chris.Lawrence@originagency.com.au 02 8281 3295 / 0415 302 701
MasterCard (NYSE: MA), www.mastercard.com, is a global payments and technology company. It operates the world’s fastest payments processing network, connecting consumers, financial institutions, merchants, governments and businesses in more than 210 countries and territories. MasterCard’s products and solutions make everyday commerce activities – such as shopping, traveling, running a business and managing finances – easier, more secure and more efficient for everyone. Follow us on Twitter @MasterCardNews, join the discussion on the Cashless Conversations Blog and subscribe for the latest news.
Notes to Editors:
[i] Payment service providers offer retailers online services for accepting electronic payments. Types of payment service providers include shopping carts, merchant accounts and payment gateways. A shopping cart is software that tracks product inventory and allows customers to add items for eventual online checkout. A merchant account is an account set up with a credit card processor that allows the business to accept credit cards from their customers. Payment gateways are browser-based applications that fit between a shopping cart and a merchant account, which allow a shopping cart to transmit credit-card data in a real-time, secure environment, to a credit card processor.
[ii] The MasterPass suite of services includes:
- MasterPass checkout services – to provide merchants a consistent way to accept electronic payments regardless of where the consumer may be. For in-store scenarios either at the register or in the aisle, MasterPass supports the use of NFC, QR codes, tags, mobile devices used at points of sale or traditional plastic cards. For online purchases, MasterPass provides shoppers a simple check-out process by eliminating the need to enter detailed shipping and card information with every purchase.
- MasterPass-connected wallets – to enable banks, merchants and partners to offer their own wallets. Consumers can securely store card information, address books and more in a secure cloud, hosted by an entity they trust. The wallet is open, which means that in addition to MasterCard cards, consumers can use other branded credit, debit and prepaid cards.
- MasterPass value added services – to enrich the shopping experience before, during and after checkout. This includes more information like account balances and real-time alerts, loyalty programs, as well as Priceless offers and experiences.
Click here to subscribe to real-time alerts.